Name:
Location: United States

Recently awarded rank of Fellow, Society for Technical Communcation (STC). Owner, Well Chosen Words (http://wellchosenwords.biz), providing consultative support for communication projects including management of complex proposal projects for small business clients to submit to secure contracts with government agencies. Aging gracefully with the ability to see humor in the ironic.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Calming Influence

With a second hurricane threatening one of the places we used to live, we're scanning the weather maps for some "calming influence" - an atmospheric condition to tame down the storm called Rita before it hits Texas or Louisiana. Friends still not back home and another one coming.

Life in general is kind of like that too. Time management experts extoll the advantages of making lists and eliminating the unimportant. Life coaches urge us to give up worrying about what we can not change. Others point out, "one person's bad planning is not another person's emergency."

Well, it sounds good in theory. But, here it is - the day before leaving for LavaCon in Hawaii - and, I'm not finished with what I need to get done so that I can feel okay about leaving. Lists won't help - too many items on a list tend to cause racing pulse and dry mounth. And, if clients waited to ask for support - well, it is an emergency for good consultants - guess we'd just better anticipate future requests next time. And, when family or friends need us - well, a week isn't that long, after all. And, as for eliminating the unimportant - that is the hardest part of all. Knowing what is and what isn't. Sigh!!

Calming influence? I think I'll play solitare until I win one. jmh

4 Comments:

Blogger paige said...

Your blog is great! It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about solitare these days! I have a secret solitare exposed if you want to come check it out

4:14 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I found a lot of useful info about solitare on your blog - thank you. I also have a new solitare tips blog - please click over and have a look

4:20 AM  
Blogger paige said...

Wow - you're blog is full of good info. It's getting hard to find blogs with useful content and people talking about solitare these days. I have just started my Latest solitare news blog and would really appreciate you coming by - thanks again

4:28 AM  
Blogger darrelkline2446095523 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home